Wednesday, December 11, 2013

This I Believe Responses


The Birthright of Human Dignity

In this essay, the author, Will Thomas, writes about his first hand account with racial discrimination. Will and his family decided they needed to move out of the south because they could no longer handle the hate they were receiving on a daily basis due to the color of their skin. I hope I'm speaking for the vast majority of people when I say that racial discrimination is an awful thing. What if people were prohibited from using certain restrooms because they had blonde hair or brown eyes? Racial discrimination is wrong, plain and simple. I did however, find that the way Will ended up handling his debacle was by moving to Vermont rather than breaking ties with his home country.  He found he was accepted in Vermont. His difficulties gave him a very narrow perspective. However when William and his family arrived in Vermont, he had time to think back upon on the struggles his family was presented with and he realized that it was all human error. Those people who were treating him poorly for being a negro had only known racism. I found it inspiring how he forgave all those people and proceeded on with his life. 

The Tense Middle

I read the 'The Tense Middle" written by Ronald Hoffman and I can not seem to recall every agreeing with one person more in my life. He explains that people can make decisions, whether they be good or bad. These decisions may make that person seem evil or their decision may make them seem good. The middle, right between good and evil, is the best place to be. I agree with this theory. If you stay in the middle you do not screwed over for being the nice guy and you do not get put down for being a bad person. Its a wonderful medium and it all is respective of the decisions you make in your own life. 



The Invitation to Name Our Beliefs

"The Invitation to Name Our Beliefs," written by Dr. Beth Boehm, is a recalling of Beth's childhood. Her father would constantly ask her to sit with him and read different articles and the question her opinion on the topic of the article(s). I personally think this is a very good thing for a parent to do to teach their child to open up their mind and think beyond themselves and their own situations. I personally do NOT want a close minded, self absorbed child. If this is the case I will as if I have failed my child and my job as a parent. Forcing someone into naming their beliefs is a good thing in my opinion. 

In God Alone

In this article written by Joe Reagan, the author explains that he went through a very hard time in his life in which he could not provide food for his family. He further explained that his family and friends began helping him feed his family because God's will was for them to help. I had to laugh at this article. If you can not provide for your family, sitting around praying will not change the situation. Instead get up, go out, and get what you need to get by any means necessary. Praying to an imaginative figure that society as a whole has ZERO proof of his existence seems foolish to me. I believe in self reliance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment